This recipe is adapted from My Kitchen Snippets - Tiramisu. I halved the recipe and used a 9 inch pound cake pan. This is a really simple cake to make, no baking required, just a lot of mixing and arranging ingredients.
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- 1 tbsp coffee liqueur
- 4 tbsp of sugar (if you want it sweeter, increase the sugar amount)
- 225 ml of whipping cream
- 1/4 cup of hot strong brewed coffee
- 1/16 cup of dark rum
- 36 sponge fingers (more or less)
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a mixing bowl cream the mascarpone, coffee liqueur and 2 tbsp of sugar. (Divide the cream cheese mixture equally so the layers will become more consistent in terms of thickness.)
- In a second mixing bowl whisk the whipping cream with 4 tbsp of sugar until firm peak, set aside. (I added 1 more tablespoons of sugar.)
- Fold the whipping cream into the mascarpone cheese and set aside.
- Mix the coffee and dark rum and pour into a shallow dish.
- Dip 1 surface of the sponge fingers into the coffee mixture and place it in the bottom of the baking dish or spring form pan. (Dip in a quick and swift movement, do not soak, it will cause the sponge to become soggy.)
- Spread some cream cheese mixture over the sponge fingers and dust with cocoa powder.
- Repeat step 5 and step 6 for the next layer.
- Cover and refrigerate the tiramisu overnight.
On the second layer, I forgot to spoon the coffee mixture onto the lady fingers dust cocoa powder on the cream and cheese mixture. Sigh....I must be dreaming or too excited....hehehe. But still tasted good, I suppose minor mistakes are forgivable in this cake.
Updates 1 March 2014
I made this again without putting the sponge fingers around the cake. It doesn't look very stable when cutting into the layers without that support. The sponge was also probably too soft.