Saturday 16 August 2014

Mocha Brownie Cake



I adapted this from Bisous A Toi - Barbbara Cake. I have no idea why it's called a barbbara cake. It is kinda like a brownie with cakey texture and it uses extra egg yolks. The taste is good, texture is not so fluffy, maybe due to the extra egg yolks, nevertheless it's still soft. Will I make it again? Yes I think I will (especially when I have extra egg yolks to get rid of.) 

Ingredients:
(A)

  • 300g butter
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1 tbsp condense milk
  • 100g icing sugar
(B)
  • 250g egg yolks (I only use 150g because I ran out of eggs, kinda underestimate 250g egg yolks actually need so much more eggs.)
(C)
  • 150g cake flour
  • 25g corn flour
  • 25g milk powder (I use soy milk powder)
(D)
  • 200g egg white
  • 100g caster sugar
(E)
  • 1 tbsp chocolate paste (I made my own by mixing cocoa powder and a bit of water, not "pastey" enough I think.)
  • 1/4 tsp coffee toffee (I just mixed instant nescafe to the chocolate paste, colour and smell not so distinct, I think need to find better chocolate paste.)
(F)
  • 20g almond flakes

Method
  1. Whipped (A) till white and fluffy.
  2. Add in (B) one at a time and continue to whip till well blended.
  3. Fold in sifted (C) a little at a time till well mixed.
  4. In a clean mixing bowl, whisk (D) till stiff peak.
  5. Fold in (D) gently into butter mixture in 3 separate additions.
  6. Take 1/4 of the batter, put it into another bowl and add in (E).
  7. Pour plain butter mixture into a pan (about 30cm x 30cm x 4cm). Smooth out the batter.
  8. Spoon and dollop chocolate mixture on top. Do not swirl it. Top it with almond flakes.
  9. Bake it on a preheated oven of 170 degree Celsius for about 30 minutes.



This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY, and hosted by Diana from the Domestic Goddess Wannabe.

2 comments:

  1. I love how this brownie was so neatly divided into 2 distinct colours! Thanks for linking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome and thanks for hosting! :)

      Delete