Friday 10 February 2012

Marble Cheese Cake

I have almost not wanted to post this cake. I didn't mix the egg yolks and egg whites batter fully, resulting in the hardened cheese visible at the bottom. I only realized that when I poured the batter to the cake tin for baking. I cringed to see the egg yolks-cheese batter not mixed at the bottom of the pan where I cooked the cheese-butter mixture. Thinking back, maybe I should just discard the unmixed portion of the egg yolks-cheese batter. But taste wise, it was really good. Since this is my maiden try on baked cheesecake in water bath, I think I can forgive myself....haha...

I used the fingers sponge used to make tiramisu as I didn't have the time to bake a sponge cake as the base. I was tempting the make the normal digestive biscuits base but Kitchen Corner said in her comments (where this recipe is adapted from http://gracekitchencorner.blogspot.com/2010/03/marble-soft-cheesecake.html), the digestive biscuits base may not suitable as it may be too hard if paired up with the very soft cheese cake layer. So, I dip the fingers sponge into a coffee and rum mixture to act as the base and then pour the cheese batter on top.

I will definitely make this again with a sponge cake base next time.

The harder cheese mixture at the bottom, it is probably heavy,
so it sank to the bottom and pushed the lady fingers
layer to the middle

Ingredients:
For the cream cheese layer:
  • 160g cream cheese
  • 50ml whippping cream
  • 70ml milk
  • 60g unsalted butter
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 30g corn flour
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 4 egg whites
  • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
For the sponge base:
  • 4 tbsp coffee
  • 1 tbsp dark rum
  • 10 lady fingers (more or less - I didn't note down the actual numbers, some are broken into 2 to fit the cake tin and some went into my stomach)
Method:

  1. Melt cream cheese, whipping cream, milk and butter over double boiler. Stir occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat.
  2. Add in 50g of sugar, corn flour, vanilla and egg yolks then stir well.
  3. Line an 8-inch round cake pan. If you have a springform pan, you don't have to do any lining. Dip (not soak) both sides of the lady fingers into the coffee-run mixture. Arrange the lady fingers at the botton of the cake tin. You may break the biscuits to fill any weird angle space in the cake tin.
  4. Beat egg white and cream of tartar in another clean bowl until mixture forms soft peaks. Gradually add in the rest of sugar, continue beating until frothy and stiff peaks form.
  5. Gently fold beaten egg white foam into cheese mixture until blended.
  6. Stir 80g of cheese mixture with cocoa powder until well combined. (Now, I think this means stir into mixture in step 5, I actually stirred the mixture into step 2, so my cocoa cheese mixture in not visible)
  7. Pour vanilla cheese mixture into cake tin. Drizzle some cocoa cheese mixture over the surface and draw marble pattern with skewer. Place the baking pan in a large tray.
I don't have a springform pan, so I lined the cake so the cake
be easily removed.
8. Pour enough hot water into larger tray to come half way up sides of baking pan. Bake in preheated oven at 140C for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 120C and continue bake for 30 minutes.
9. Remove from heat and leave to cool. Chill in the fridge for overnight before serve.





After slicing, the taste is good though.


No comments:

Post a Comment