Wednesday 15 August 2012

Black Sesame Chiffon Cake



This didn't taste extraordinary for me, but I think I'll make this again with the correct amount of ingredients as I personally like black sesame. The recipe actually calls for 240g, which translate to 7 medium egg whites and I have 6 large (or so, I thought) eggs left in my fridge. But the so-called large eggs are actually medium eggs, because when I weighed the whites, I didn't get 240g :( I am short of 1 egg white, I suppose. But I went ahead anyway with what I have and the cake texture that came out is a bit dense (by chiffon cake standard), but it's still fluffy. It is standing tall and sturdy due to its density. I think I'll still make this once again with enough egg whites and followed the recipe to the tee. :) This is adapted from Veronica's Kitchen.

Ingredients:
  • 80g fresh milk
  • 40g corn oil
  • 2 tsp rum (I didn't add this, will add this next round)
  • 100g low protein flour
  • 100g egg yolks
  • 30g black sesame powder (I increased to 45g as I didn't add sesame seeds)
  • 15g roasted black sesame seeds (I didn't have this)
  • 240g egg white
  • 120g castor sugar
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 170 degree C.
  2. Whisk egg yolk. In another bowl, mix fresh milk and corn oil till combined. Add the milk mixture to the egg yolks and mix well.
  3. Sift the flour into the yolks mixture. Add in black sesame powder, mix till well blended.
  4. In a clean, grease-free bowl, beat egg whites for a few seconds until frothy, add 1/3 of sugar, then beat hard until soft peaks form. Beat the remaining sugar a tablespoon at a time and beat just until stiff.
  5. Take 1/3 meringue (from method 4) and whisk into the egg yolks batter. Take another 1/3 and fold (this time gently) into the egg yolks batter. Finish folding in the remaining egg whites gently.
  6. Pour into a 9-in chiffon cake tin and bake for 30- 35 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven and immediately turn upside down, and leave to cool completely.  


After completely cool...
After unmoulding, standing tall...

No comments:

Post a Comment