I have to get rid of some eggs before their expiry date and then I chanced upon Honey Sweet Bee - Light Swirl Oreo Butter Cake. I have always wanted to try the egg separation method for butter cake. Was wondering if it's going to make butter cake softer compared to the normal creaming method that I used to make. So, this cake will be perfect for experimentation. ^_^
But this cake cannot be kept more than 2 days. Not sure if it is because I didn't store the cake properly, as some kind of fungus or mould or wet spots start appearing in the cake. >_< Properly stored butter cake should be able to last for 5 days at room temperature, I think.
- 130g (1 tube) Oreo cookies, pulverized in blender together with the cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 125g caster sugar
- 130ml fresh milk
- 160g unsalted butter, melted and cooled (will use salted butter next time)
- 100g cake flour
- 100g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 7 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 130g caster sugar
- Using a mixing bowl placed over a double boiler at a low heat, add the egg yolks and caster sugar in. Using a hand mixer, beat the mixture till ribbon stage.
- Gently whisk in the milk and cooled butter to the yolk mixture till incorporated.
- Sift in the flours and baking powder in 3 separate portions into the mixture and gently mixing it in to no visible flour.
- Preheat the oven to 175C. Grease and lined a 9" by 3" round.
- In another bowl with the egg whites, beat the egg whites till frothy. Then add cream of tartar. Continue to beat the whites and gradually add in the caster sugar. Beat the mixture till stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the whites into the yolk mixture in 3 separate portions till all is mixed in. Then pour half of the batter into another bowl. Add the Oreo crumbs in Set A into one of the batter portions, mix well.
- Alternating, pour the plain and Oreo batter into the prepared pan. Using a chop stick or butter knife to swirl the batter to create patterns.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes or till the cake tester comes out clean.