Saturday 6 July 2013

Durian Egg Tart

Freshly baked from the oven.

I am not really a big fan of durians, not that I don't like them, but I don't particularly like them either. When I was younger, during the durian seasons, my extended family liked to buy many durians and ate them for dinner. We used to put the newspapers on the floor where the durians will be opened and the whole family just sat around the newspapers and had a durian feast for dinner...haha...I used to feel so full after each eating session. Maybe I have had enough, so I don't crave for it....

So since my family like durians so much, when I saw this post at Table for 2...or more: Durian Egg Tart, I took this opportunity to try out the recipe. The crust is really easy to make, no need to use the mixer to cream the sugar and butter, just use a hand whisker to whisk the batter for the crust.

I was a bit worried when I was whisking the crust batter for the first few minutes as it was cuddling. But few more minutes later, when I saw the mixture becoming really creamy, I was relieved.

The crust is not the crunchy and hard type, unfortunately as that is what I prefer. The slight crunchiness will be gone a few hours after baking. Perhaps it's the custard that soften the crust. Till now I still have not found a crust recipe for egg tarts as good as those sold in Kg Simee, Ipoh.

Nevertheless, this recipe will be for keeps as it gets a lot of thumbs up from the audience. ^_^

Ingredients:
The crust is a bit pale but can't bake it for too long as
the custard will puff up and becomes ugly.




Crust
  • 125g salted butter, softened
  • 1/2 egg
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 200g all purpose flour
Durian custard
  • 250g durian flesh
  • 250g water
  • 3 1/2 grade B egg
  • 100g sugar
  • 125g milk
  • pinch of salt
Method:
  1. Mix butter with sugar, then add in the egg and mix them together with a mixing spoon until it becomes creamy. (Be patient, this will take a bit of time.)
  2. Add in flour and mix till dough is formed.
  3. Cover and let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
  4. Roll the dough out into 6-7mm thick. Cut with a round cutter. Press the dough into the egg tart pan. (I just cut it with the tart rim)
  5. Chill the tart crust dough until they are very firm. (I usually prepared this 1 day in advance and keep them in the refrigerator.)
  6. Put the water and durian flesh in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Stir all the time.
  7. When the flesh melted, strain the mixture, leaving the fibre behind. Leave to cool.
  8. Mix the eggs with salt and sugar. Add in milk. Combine with the durian mixture. Strain the mixture again.
  9. Preheat oven to 170 C (fan mode) or 190 C conventional.
  10. Put the crust on a baking tray.
  11. Pour the durian custard onto the crust to its rim.
  12. Place the tray at the lowest level of the oven.
  13. Bake for 25 minutes or the custard looked firm and no longer wobbly.
The toothpick is standing tall. The custard is cooked.
 
It is still delicious!!!

2 comments:

  1. Nice looking egg tarts. Perhaps, you may like to hop over to Christine's Recipes for the hard crust type.

    Blessings
    Priscilla Poh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Priscilla,

    Thanks for the head's up. Will pop over her website to check it out.

    ReplyDelete