Sunday 8 April 2012

Soft Banana Cake

2nd attempt...looks and tastes so much better

I have 3 medium sized eggs left from my previous bakes, have been thinking for a long time what to do with the eggs before they expired, until I saw Wen's favorite banana cake recipe. I have everything except banana, so I thought, okay just need to buy some bananas and I can have some banana cakes for breakfast. I don't quite have a very good success rate with sponge cake. They will shrink like there's no tomorrow when cooling down, after they are cooled, the cakes become really dense and not "spongy".

So, okay, I tried the recipe and have been thinking whether I should blog about it or try again as I found the cake a bit too wet, wet like oil oozing out from the cake, ok, ok maybe I am exaggerating, but I found it very oily. They are still soft but crumbly at the same time. And I know I did not mix the oil properly as the oil can be seen to have sank to the bottom. The sides of the cake becomes a bit chewy. They shrank a bit too when cooling.

Sighhh, I think need to get an oven thermometer soon, maybe my oven is too hot. I normally use the fan mode for cakes, thinking the temperature will be better distributed, so the inside of the cakes will be cooked properly.

The recipe comes from the link above and I followed them to the T. Maybe I'll try this again by reducing the oil.

 
The ingredients
 
Just got into the oven.

A tad bit worried, doesn't seem to rise much.


The texture is soft but a bit wet

Update 12 Nov 2015:
So I revisited this recipe with caution. I didn't expect much as I kinda have prepared for another failure. But somehow I told myself to give it another chance. And voila...surprise!!! The cake turned out surprisingly well...

The key here is to beat the egg-sugar-banana mixture until really fluffy and triple the volume...

Folding in flour and oil...

This is how the final batter looks like...

Just got into the oven...

Rising a bit more this time...:)

Uh...didn't shrink much...when I saw this, I knew this is a success...

After removing it from the baking tin...

Looks a bit wet in the middle...I think need to reduce the oil or mix the oil more thoroughly...

No comments:

Post a Comment