Thursday 5 March 2015

Banana Yogurt Muffin


Muffins are said to be the easiest to make. It's not easy to fail in muffin making unless the batter is over-mixed. If they are over-mixed, the muffins will become hard quite quickly after they have cooled down. So, I was quite baffled initially why my muffins can't stay fluffy.

When using the same mixing techniques for plain recipes (e.g. using plain flour, baking powder and all) and muffin pre-mix, I noticed that the muffins baked with pre-mix yields a softer texture long after they have cooled down. So, I am pretty sure I did not over-mix my muffin batters. But I do not want to use pre-mix often as I am not sure what (or if there is any) chemical substance they put in there. Using pre-mix is very convenient though, it saves you the hassle of having to weigh the ingredients and you just need to add in eggs and start mixing. And the muffins can be in the oven in less than half an hour.

After reading some blogs that mentioned that yogurt and buttermilk can keep muffins moist and soft, I tried one recipe - Table for 2 or more: Banana Yoghurt Muffins with yogurt. Buttermilk is very expensive. >_< I know it's easy to make buttermilk but it seems like the buttermilk sold commercially has a much more thicker texture.   

This one seems to work, so I am keeping the recipe. ^_^.

Ingredients:
Feels very soft
  • 180g banana
  • 2 large eggs
  • 140g plain yogurt
  • 100g salted butter, melted
  • 210g flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 150g brown sugar
  • Whole walnuts
Method:
  1. Sift flour and baking soda into a bowl. Add in sugar and mix well.
  2. Blend eggs and bananas in a blender for about 10 seconds.
  3. Pour the egg mixture into a bowl and add yogurt and butter and mix well.
  4. Combine 1 and 3 and mix well.
  5. Spoon batter into muffin mould and top with whole walnut.
  6. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degree Celcius for 25 minutes.






4 comments:

  1. Hi Nitya,

    Nice muffins! Good to know that this recipe is a keeper! :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nitya,
    Indeed, yogurt & buttermilk make great ingredients in baking . Your muffins rose very nicely, I like... Thank you for linking this post to LTU. :)

    ReplyDelete